The 7th & 8th of Av:
Baruch Dayan Emet
The 7th of Av saw the murder of a soft-hearted shomer mitzvot teenager, Dvir Sorek. May his family be comforted among all the mourners of Tziyon & Yerushalayim. Hashem yinkom damo.
The 8th of Av saw the passing of Ahava Emunah bat Chava Ehta after a 7-year battle against the machalah. Our hearts hurt for the passing of this wife and mommy of 5 children in Eretz Yisrael. May her husband David Lange and their children be comforted among all the mourners of Tziyon & Yerushalayim.
These were very bitter events.
What Happened on the 9th of Av This Year?
A Brief Analysis of Events
- (1) The alleged capture of Dvir Sorek's murderers
- (2) The alleged suicide (which I personally think was probably an assassination) of a particularly degenerate "Jew"
- (3) The elimination of armed terrorists who snuck into Israel BEFORE they could carry out an attack
While 9 Av is traditionally a time of great sorrow in Am Yisrael (please see the lists HERE & HERE), the above 3 events seem to be good for Am Yisrael.
(In fact, Mashiach is born on 9 Av and when Mashiach reigns, Tisha B'Av will become a chag of celebration.)
- (1) If it's true that Dvir Sorek's murderers were actually found (and that it's not just self-promotion to make the powers-that-be look good), it's a good & just thing.
- (2) I was relieved to hear about the death of the great degenerate, although...
...on one hand, it means that neither his copious & equally degenerate partners in crime nor his poor victims will receive proper justice (in the conventional way, at least).
On the other hand, official justice probably wouldn't have been served anyway because we are talking about extremely powerful people involved. After all, while everyone is acting like this is a big shock, this degenerate was actually in all the press several years ago.
So everyone, readers and journalists, knew all about him and his nefarious deeds and connections, yet everyone is pretending they didn't know all about this before.
In other words, it was both hyped over and then glossed over already. It could've gotten glossed over again if he hadn't kicked the bucket.
However, because this degenerate identified as a Jew and sported a very Jewish-sounding name, I was concerned about the potential effects on the Jewish community which hates this person, but would be associated with him anyway, especially with the rising acceptability of Jew-hatred in the "civilized" world now.
Sure, those of us who've read Modern Erev Rav immediately dismissed him as Erev Rav of the Nefilim persuasion and not really one of us. But that's not how much of the world would see him.
On the other hand, Jew-haters can take anything to strange extremes. So while my initial feeling was relief because it SEEMED good overall, we'll still have to wait & see.
- (3) And of course, capturing armed terrorists BEFORE harm can be done is a very good thing, although once again, it was used to promote female service in the army although guys can also be trained (and ARE successfully trained) to monitor a screen and call for security forces to intervene. (It was the male soldiers who actually risked their lives, showing great courage and skill under fire, to eliminate the terrorists.)
There are probably other significant events that happened during this time of which I'm not aware. But this is what I think right now.